Sunday, October 20, 2013

Technology & Pedagogy

My goal was to find a lesson that was engaging and allowed the students to think critically.  I chose this lesson because it was student oriented and it integrated technology effectively, but at the same time there were parts that I believed I could add and edit to make it a more complete lesson.  I truly believe there is no such thing as a perfect lesson because there is always a small hiccup that we do not account for. 
              There were certain parts of the lesson in which the curriculum, teaching strategies and technologies used were not completely connected.  In the first step the lesson describes how the circumference of a circle depends on the diameter of it.  The lesson then gives the students a procedure to follow integrating MIRA, which is a transparent geometric tool that reflects like a mirror to help understand characteristics of a circle.  In this example the technology and curriculum goals align very nicely, but I think the teaching strategies relied too much on the students to do all the work.  I would have liked to see the lesson reflect the teacher/student combination of work.  It would have made it more complete, although it is a great lesson.  I would have liked to see this second standard covered in the lesson because they could be so easily implemented so I added a standard and example.  In the part I added I had the learning more teacher centered because of the fact that most of the other parts were student centered and I wanted to see an even mixture.
            I believe the technology used in this lesson was perfect for the information that was trying to be taught.  Without this technology the lesson would have been a complete failure because it relied on it to create the learning materials and implement them.  A compass was necessary for drawing a circle that the students needed to examine.  Then MIRA and the geometer sketchpad program helped see ratios which led to the students understanding the formula for circumference.  This was one of the common core content standards.
SPREADSHEET

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you that there is no such thing as a perfect lesson. I think how you teach or how you deliver the content to your students determines the quality of your lesson. I like how you added more things to the lesson so that it addressed more standards. You mentioned that the lesson is more student-centered and relied on the students to do the work. I agree with you that the teacher has to take part in the lesson as well, but students should be the one who is actively participate in the lesson in order to learn something from it. So, I don't think there is any problem with the lesson even though it is more student-centered.

    ReplyDelete