Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Webassign

Webassign is a great piece of technology to use in the classroom.  Webassign is a website for students to do their homework online and the teacher can see when it was submitted, started, and how long it took to do it.  In addition the teacher can control the number of times a student has to answer the question.  However, it is also student friendly because it has practice problems and it tells student what part of the text book the problem goes with.  As a student I loved using this website because I grew up using computers, the internet, and technology.  This made doing homework fun and helpful.  I was used to doing homework and being on my own.  This website and the practice problems provided me lots of help. 
As a teacher it is great too because so many students do not do their homework because they get home and struggle with the problems.  I know because I have done this.  There have been multiple times when I said I will figure it out tomorrow when I get to class.  This website provides so much help so that is not the case.  From a teacher’s perspective this website serves as a formative assessment as well.  This is another important aspect because normally teachers cannot check every student’s homework.  This is a problem for us teachers because the students know that a teacher does not have enough time to check everyone’s homework.  This leads to students just writing down anything. 

If I knew that the teacher was checking and grading my homework every night I would really take the time to make sure it is correct.  The teacher could also see which problems confuse students in a matter of seconds.  This is great because then the teacher can focus his/her teaching on those certain problems.  This is one way technology can be integrated into teaching to make a teacher more effective.            

No comments:

Post a Comment