Saturday, November 30, 2013

Smart Boards in the Classroom

Smart Boards are very useful and effective tools for aiding in learning.  This is especially true in the math class because of all of the features that they provide.  Some of the features are it allows users to generate and organize notes, incorporate videos and images, it lets users to record sound, access information online, and do interactive games.  It is so important to be able to create and save specific notes.  In classes without a smart board every student has to copy down the notes.  Very often, students will miss vital information because they are copying down notes from the board.  Now with Smart Boards they can pay attention and the teacher can save and print out class notes for all of the students.  This is a huge step for the evolution of the way we learn in the classroom.  Students love videos because they are so effective in grabbing their attention.  If I have a Smart Board in my class I will use videos to introduce certain mathematical topics when it is relevant.  All of these features are great.  However, the best feature has to be the interactive games that can be played on these boards.  I have seen all of the positive impacts that these games can have on students.  This tool really helps develop the way we learn. 

Smart Boards not come into to learning without some limitations.  The first negative aspect of a Smart Board is multi-person involvement.  Only one person can write on the board at a time which is something I think this company needs to change.  As a math teacher, I will want my students to go up to the board and do example problems.  It takes way too long to have one student go up at a time.  Another challenge that these boards present is time it will take to figure out how to best use these boards.  Any teacher can say I will write my notes on the Smart Board, but to really take advantage of all of the benefits we need to plan for this.  This takes a lot of planning and effort.  At the end of the day, Smart Boards are well worth dealing with the negative aspects of them.  They provide so many features and knowledge at the tip of our fingers.  After watching multiple teachers use them, I do not think I could be satisfied without having one in my classroom.         

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that SmartBoard is useful in teaching Math, but I don't think I need to learn about all the functions of a SmartBoard first, before I can incorporate it in my lesson. I feel like that schools don't educate teachers on how to use it before putting one in the classroom. I have seen teachers who rarely use it for any lesson and still waste time writing notes on a blackboard. Maybe they don't like to use it or don't even know how to use it. I do agree with you that students can focus more on understanding the content if they have to write less, but I think that writing notes is important in learning Math. I believe that you can retain more information if you actually take the time to write notes down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean, I agree with everything you have mentioned and feel that Smart Boards are great to use in a classroom. Aside from all the great features you mentioned, I feel that students are more engaged to learn in general with the use of technology. Having an interactive classroom as opposed to a traditional one, like writing on the board, students are more likely to be “amazed” at the new information they will be learning. I especially like that you mentioned that with Smart Boards students could pay more attention in class, while the notes are just printed out for them to later refer to. This also applies well for students who were absent.

    ReplyDelete